If you have a budget of €50k or less to spend on an annual basis or on a particular campaign, IAPI recommends a slightly different route to finding the right agency as follows:
- Prepare an outline brief with a clear indication of the marketing/communication budget.
- Consider the scope of work you will be asking the successful agency to undertake.
- Establish what type of agency you require (in terms of size relative to budget, specialisation, potential conflicts etc.). Carefully draw up the criteria that will form your checklist against which to assess the list of agencies.
- Identify relevant existing work for other clients, which you rate highly.
- Talk to business colleagues in other companies about their agency experiences.
- Undertake any necessary desk/online research, consulting agency directories, agency trade associations, and the trade press for additional background information about agencies that might interest you.
- Contact the agencies on your list and hold chemistry meetings. Ask the agencies to prepare some initial financial estimates to discuss at this meeting. This avoids misunderstandings and manages expectations on both sides.
- Contact the agencies to notify them if they have won the account or not.
- Sign contracts and set up an effectiveness review for the six month period.